Sometimes, you’ve got to leave everything behind and build a better you. Solvm helped Metric Lab shed its old identity and refine it into something spectacular.
It took some convincing on Solvm’s end, but after understanding the benefits they’d reap from a new identity and website, Metric Lab agreed. The result? Proper representation of an excellent company.
- Site reflects Metric Lab’s professionalism and values
- Site builds trust, intrigue and rapport
- Increased confidence in online appearance
- Users enjoy the site
- Increased usability
- Easy to manage site
- Site has won online awards
- Site will be featured in, “The Web Designer’s Idea Book Volume 3!”
The last thing you want is a logo, website or business card that misrepresents your company’s brand. Noticing this discrepancy, Solvm worked with Metric Lab (formerly Active Comm Labs LLC) to rebrand the company’s identity. Part of the process involved evaluating the existing brandmark (logo).
The Original Brandmark
We strongly believe that design is a visual language everyone can understand. So here’s what the original logo said to us:
“My rotating arrows indicate that I am about recycling. The A and C monogram indicates a connection to my old and traditional past. My typeface illustrates a creative yet not-too-creative character. And my company name indicates a Limited Liability Company that is active in Comm (whatever this means). By the way, I provide “User Experience and Human Factors Research.”
The original logo illustrates a huge misuse of design vocabulary. In order to generate a logo that accurately represents the company, it was important to clarify what makes it unique.
Redefining the Brand
This is how the founders redefined their company:
- We help companies create product experiences and brand loyalty through consumer insight.
- We are an exceptional company that is able to conduct and translate user research (metrics) into logical and easily digestible data (readable stories).
- We do rock-solid research, and we have the skills to work with anybody.
- We believe “Metric Lab” is a more accurate name for our company.
With these definitions in hand, Metric Lab and Solvm now had the context to guide the design process. The definitions given by the clients conveyed focus, excellence, skill, research, communication, and a new name — Metric Lab.
As you’ll see below, the logo went through many drafts and revisions. In the end, Solvm and Metric Lab chose a square with the letters “mL” and the company name, Metric Lab, under the initials, centered and evenly spaced. The square represents structure and stability. The lowercase “m” and uppercase “L” create enough rhythm to kept the logotype from becoming too hard-edged. The typeface, Klavika, was chosen for its solid, reliable and legible character. The company name was then set to small caps with a bit of added letter-spacing (tracking). This design works well in one-color or multiple-color combinations.
This focused, bold and distinguishable brandmark literally gives Metric Lab foundation for its newly redefined company.
- Logo reflects Metric Lab’s professionalism and values
- Logo builds trust, intrigue and rapport
- Increased confidence in appearance
- People love the logo!